Hurricane Debris Management
Tips Before the Storm
The Town of Loxahatchee Groves strongly encourages all residents and businesses to complete all major tree cutting/removal prior to any storm announcement.
- Trees should be cut back from buildings and power lines.
- Thin foliage so that wind can flow freely through branches and minimize the chances of being uprooted.
- Clear your property of any items that could be a danger to you or your neighbors in hurricane-force winds, such as old lumber and broken lawn furniture.
- Clean out any unwanted items in your garage/storage for disposal. You may need the space to store items during a storm.
Once the Strom Has Been Named
In order to avoid overwhelming amounts of debris prior to a storm, we ask that residents and businesses follow the guidelines below. This will help ensure that our community is free of potentially dangerous debris.
- DO NOT cut trees or do any major yard work.
- DO NOT begin any construction projects that produce debris.
- DO NOT clean out your garage or storage areas.
- Monitor the Town’s website and social media for updates on when regular sanitation services will stop before the storm.
- Secure garbage containers or move them inside prior to the arrival of the storm.
- Waste Management trucks cannot be on the road with sustained winds in excess of 35 mph.
After the Storm
We ask for your patience. After a storm has passed, our first priority is to clear roadways to allow safe passage through our community.
- Please keep household garbage, recycling, vegetative, and/or construction debris in separate piles.
- Be sure to place debris clear from any electrical lines, overhanging trees, water meters, mailboxes, and fire hydrants. For safety reasons, DO NOT place garbage/debris on the road.
- Our goal is to re-establish household garbage pick-up as soon as possible.
- Crews for the Solid Waste Authority will begin the removal of storm-related debris.
- Monitor the Town’s website and social media for updates on services.
- Debris removal may take several weeks or months depending on the severity of the storm.
- Debris haulers may pick up partial loads as part of their sweep. Please be patient, trucks will come back to complete removal. Generally, several complete passes are made through the Town.