Duties & Responsibilities
The duties and the authority of a Town Manager are described in the Town Charter and Code. As the Chief Administrative Officer, the Town Manager shall:
- Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the town, except the office of Town Attorney, and except as otherwise provided by this charter or by law.
- Appoint, suspend, or remove any employee of the town or appointive administrative officer provided for, by, or under this charter, except the office of town attorney, and except as may otherwise be provided by law, this charter, or personnel rules adopted pursuant to the charter. The Town Manager may authorize any administrative officer who is subject to his or her direction and supervision to exercise these powers with respect to subordinates in that officer's department, office, or agency.
- Ensure that all laws, provisions of this charter, and acts of the Council are faithfully executed.
- Prepare and submit the annual budget and capital program to the Council in the form prescribed by ordinance.
- Attend meetings of the Town Council.
- Draw and sign vouchers upon depositories as provided by ordinance and keep, or cause to be kept, a true and accurate account of same.
- Sign all licenses issued by the town, issue receipts for all moneys paid to the town, and deposit such moneys in the proper depositories on the first banking day after receipt. The Town Manager may delegate the responsibilities of this subparagraph to an appropriate town employee who shall be bonded.
- Provide administrative services in support of the official duties of the Mayor and the Council.
- Keep the Council advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the Town and make recommendations to the council concerning the affairs of the Town.
- Submit to the Council, and make available to the public, a complete report on finances and administrative activities of the Town as of the end of each fiscal year.
- Sign contracts on behalf of the town to the extent authorized by ordinance.
- Perform such other duties as are specified in this charter or as may be required by the Council.