Town Manager Position
Town of Loxahatchee Groves
Town Manager Position Description (Download)
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE STATUS
The Town Manager is the chief administrative officer of the Town who leads the organization, provides direction, and ensures the Town operates in a fiscally responsible manner. The Town Manager is appointed by, and serves at the pleasure of, the Town Council. The Town Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of all operations of Town government, and to ensure all laws, Charter provisions, and acts of the Council are faithfully executed consistent with the direction of the Town Council. This is an exempt position requiring the consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Town Manager shall have the power to hire, promote, demote, suspend, or terminate employees of the Town. The Town Manager shall have general administration and supervision over all Town employees and over the Town's administrative affairs.
The Town Manager shall also have the power and be required to:
- Prepare an annual budget and submit it to the Council for approval and adoption and be responsible for its execution.
- In conjunction with the budget process, submit a five-year capital improvement plan to the Council for approval and adoption.
- Prepare and submit annually to the Council and make available to the public a complete report on the financial and administrative activities of the Town for the preceding year.
- Submit annually to the Council recommendations for wage and benefit plans for Town staff for approval by the Council.
- Directly manage and oversee the Town’s grant program, including but not limited to, researching, writing, compliance monitoring, and reporting.
- Recommend to the Council any legislation for adoption or repeal thereof.
- Prepare agendas, provide supporting documents and information pertinent to agenda items, attend all Council meetings and have the right to take part in discussions but not to vote, and attend other Town meetings as directed.
- Ensure that all laws, rules, regulations and provisions of the Town’s Charter and acts of the Council, subject to enforcement by the Manager are faithfully executed.
- Act as a representative for the Town with other municipalities, counties and state agencies.
- Purchase all appropriate materials, supplies or equipment for which funds are provided for in the budget, but may not purchase any item which exceeds the budgetary appropriation until the Council has increased the appropriation.
- Consolidate or combine offices, departments or positions which are under his or her jurisdiction.
- Directly manage and oversee the Town's response to emergencies including, but not limited to, storm events, natural or man-made disasters and public health emergencies. Emergencies may require the Town Manager to remain on-site for extended days, including overnight.
- Execute contracts on behalf of the Town, to the extent authorized by the Council and execute all licenses issued by the Town.
- All work required by the Town Charter, Code of Ordinances, Manager's contract, or other duties as may be directed by the Town Council from time to time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Advanced knowledge of the laws and administrative policies governing municipal activities.
- Advanced knowledge of techniques and methods used to create, organize, and present financial information comprised from varying sources.
- Working knowledge of state and federal programs.
- Advanced knowledge of the grants administration process, including but not limited to, researching, creating internal controls and guidelines, reporting, and adhering to federal, state, and local funding guidelines.
- Thorough knowledge of the theories, principles and practices of employee management.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and draw logical conclusions.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with Council Members, Town employees, and citizens.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, including listening to others.
- Possess conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to use contemporary office technology.
- Advanced knowledge of rural community issues and special districts.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in public or business administration or related field. Minimum of five years of experience directing or supervising subordinate staff and in municipal government. Successful completion of pre-employment screening is required.
- Preference will be given for a Master’s Degree, or other advanced accreditation.
- Preference will be given for demonstrated experience in grants management, financial management, and/or prior experience as a town manager or similar position.
- Preference will be given to Florida government experience.
Work is primarily an office environment, with occasional need to meet on-site with citizens. The employee will occasionally be exposed to potential hazards associated with the maintenance and/or construction of public works.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS
Contemporary office equipment.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS
Valid Florida driver’s license.
Membership, or ability to attain membership, in ICMA/FCCMA.
It is the express policy of the Town of Loxahatchee Groves to engage in a program of compliance with all applicable Federal, State, and local laws regarding recruitment, hiring, and promoting people on the basis of demonstrated ability, experience, and training without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Loxahatchee Groves is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. Depending on the position, candidates are subject to drug screening and a background check as a condition of employment.
Pursuant to Section 295.07, Florida Statutes, certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such service members and veterans, receive preference and priority, in the selection process for certain positions. Positions eligible for Veteran’s Preference will state such eligibility. To receive Veteran’s Preference, an applicant claiming Veteran’s Preference must provide a copy of their DD214 and other applicable documentation of their veteran’s status at the time of application and with each applications submitted. If an applicant claiming veterans’ preference for a vacant position is not selected, they may file a complaint with the Florida Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA), 11351 Ulmerton Road, Suite 311, Largo, FL 33708. If an applicant seeking veterans’ preference in employment in the State of Florida is not selected for the position and is so notified, they must file their complaint with the DVA within 60 calendar days from the date the applicant is notified.
$90,000 - $125,000
ANTICIPATED INTERVIEW DATE
June 21, 2022
Applicants can retrieve an application from the Town of Loxahatchee website by clicking this link: https://www.loxahatcheegrovesfl.gov/DocumentCenter/View/436/Application-for-Employment-Form
Application, resumes or CV and any additional pertinent information must be submitted to the following email address: email@example.com no later than May 24 at 4:30pm.